Monday, March 21, 2011

Comedy of Errors

The Folger Theater's production of The Comedy of Errors was entertaining, to say the least. I think the director, Aaron Posner, did a wonderful job of bringing Shakespeare's vision to life in a very original way. I overheard a few audience members saying the masks that the actors wore were distracting, but I thought they added to the overall silliness of the play. The set design by Tony Cisek was thoughtful and unique -- all the different doors in various colors definitely contributed to the storyline, as characters rushed in and out of them, slamming the doors as they went. I have two complaints, and they're very minor: first, I thought the actors (especially Suzanne O'Donell, who played Adriana) tended to yell a lot. I understand why they rose their voices, but it still got a little overwhelming at points. I was also unimpressed by the performance of the courtier, played by Rachel Zampelli. She seemed like a very one-dimensional, flaky character, and I thought she could've brought more to the role besides sex appeal. Overall, I enjoyed the play very much and I'd definitely recommend it.

--Mary Bryce Hargis

No comments: